Famous Chicken Vindaloo Recipe |Goan Chicken Vindaloo Recipe | Delicious Chicken Vindaloo Recipe
About Chicken Vindaloo:
There are many stories about the Famous Chicken Vindaloo Recipe. This curry came from the fusion of Portuguese, Goan, and British influences. In fact, the name “Vindaloo” is actually a guarded version of a Portuguese dish called Carne de vinha d’alhos which translates to “garlic wine marinated in meat”.
In the 1800s, this famous chicken vindaloo dish was made Indian using palm vinegar instead of wine and was traditionally made from pork or beef. The dish developed further when the British ruled India – in that version the meat was marinated overnight with vinegar, ginger, garlic, and spices and then cooked the next day.
When made on the right side, a Chicken Vindaloo should be reddish-maroon in color, slightly sweet, with heat levels – red dry chilies, green chilies, and black peppers and most importantly two different sour notes from vinegar and tamarind.
This is a delicious chicken curry that you can make for house parties. You can also use prawns, fish, beef, or mutton instead of chicken.
Famous Goan Chicken Vindaloo recipe can be served with rice or Paratha served and kachumber or salad as of your choice.
If you like this famous chicken vindaloo Recipe, You can also try our other Chicken Recipe for your everyday/ weekend meal:
Ingredients For Chicken Vindaloo:
500 grams Chicken, cut into pieces
2 onions, chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
1/4 cup tomato puree
1 tablespoon oil
2 Green Chillies, chopped
1 tbsp tamarind, washed and soaked in hot water
Coriander (Dhania) Leaves, as required, to garnish
salt to taste
1 teaspoon oil
8 cloves garlic
1/2 inch ginger
5 Dry Kashmiri Peppers
1/2 tablespoon mustard
1/2 tbsp Whole Black Pepper
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
4 tbsp vinegar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tsp jaggery
1/2 teaspoon salt, as per taste
How to make Famous Chicken Vindaloo – Goan Chicken Vindaloo
- To make Goan Chicken Vindaloo Recipe, first heat oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Now add black pepper, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, laung, cinnamon, Kashmiri dry chilies, and cook on low heat. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and allow this mixture to cool. After cooling, add vinegar, salt, turmeric powder, jaggery, some water to a mixer grinder and make a paste.
- Take out this paste in a bowl, add chicken and mix it. Keep this chicken aside for at least 2 hours. You can also keep it for 12 to 24 hours because it enhances its taste even more.
- To make curry, heat oil in a pan. After the oil is hot, add green chilies, onion and cook it till the onion becomes golden. Now add tomato pieces and cook till they become softer. After the tomatoes become soft, add tomato puree and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- After 2 to 3 minutes add marinated chicken and remaining spices. Mix properly and let it cook for 10 to 12 minutes. If the masala becomes dry, add a little more water and mix. Cover the pan and let it cook for 25 to 30 minutes. After cooking, turn off the gas.
Serve it famous chicken vindaloo over rice and garnish with some fresh herbs and extra spicy chili flakes. Basmati rice is a great choice, as is one side of Nan Rotli with Salad or kachumber (tomato, onion, Lemon, Cucumber. etc).
If it gets too spicy, serve it with this traditional Indian raita recipe, which is made from spicy yogurt. It has a nice cooling effect. It really is a wonderful dish.
Variations / Tips / Tricks
- The authentic recipe calls for palm vinegar – if you do not have rice or cider vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar (or jaggery).
- You can skip the tomato and replace it with fresh tamarind. Take tamarind and soak it in hot water for about 15 minutes. Run it through a simmer. Also, mix the juice with vinegar to make base masala.
- Add 1/4 cup of coconut milk cream to the masala paste while grinding. Adding coconut milk cream to the curry was something that the Hindus of Goa introduced in this dish. This makes Chicken Vindaloo curry sauce creamy.